What to Bring and Wear
Students should wear clothing for the day’s weather. We suggest layers to adjust for changing weather. Wetsuits and drysuits are not required but can add a level of comfort if the individual is susceptible to cold. A wind and water proof layer on the outside will help keep you warm when wet.
Students must wear close toed shoes such as runners, aqua socks, crocs or wet suit booties to protect their feet from potential stubbing or cuts.
Please bring a change of clothing for when you get wet and a towel. RVYC has showers and change rooms for use after sailing.
Sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses are also recommended as the sun’s rays are intensified by reflection on the water.
Sailing gloves are a great idea but are not necessary. Rubberized gardening gloves do the trick at a fraction of the cost. If you feel you need to wear gloves.
- Bring a water bottle and enough food for your time here. Lunch and snacks for full day programs and snacks for half day programs. Time does not allow us to order food from the kitchen.
We encourage you to use your own Canadian Coast Guard Approved Personal Flotation Device. If you do not own one RVYC does provide them.
What to expect
When and Where?
Students will be on the water as much as possible, now even more so with the CYA CANSAIL program.
- CANSail is a continuum of skills. The focus is on skill aquisition and fun.
Our staff will endeavour to keep participants sailing in appropriate wind.
- We will sail if it rains and there is wind.
- You will get wet at some point as sailing is a water sport.
- Everyone has to capsize but it is done in a controlled environment the first time.
- Accidental capsizes do happen from time to time. The idea however is NOT to capsize. You will be instructed how to avoid capsizing. Our Keelboat courses do not have capsizing as the boats do not capsize.
- If you do not have your own we do supply Personal Flotation Devices for all participants.
- LEAVE ALL VALUABLES THAT DO NOT AGREE WITH SALT WATER ON SHORE!
What Discounts do you offer?
Yacht Club Members receive a discount on select sailing programs. To receieve the member rate you must enter your member discount code in the registration process and pay by credit card. Discount codes are available in the Mainsheet, Jibsheet and the letter you received regarding summer sailing. Or contact the sailing office to recieve the codes.
If you have any questions regarding your lessons, please feel free to contact us at 250-592-6113
What is the cancellation policy?
A cancellation fee of $50 (plus applicable credit card transaction fees) will be charged on all cancelled registrations. No refunds for cancellations made less than 14 days prior to the start of the course.
Can anyone join the Sailing Program?
Our Sailing Programs are open to Club members and the General Public.
For full course descriptions, dates and pricing information please view the brochure below:
2017 RVYC CanSail Brochure